History of the Mansion
This 17-room mansion was designed by William A. Lucas in 1913 and built for Mr. & Mrs. William E. Beckmann of the W.E. Beckmann Bakers and Confectioners Supply Company. While not technically a “duplex”, it housed Mr. and Mrs. Beckmann on the east side of the house and their married daughter and her family on the west side. Each symmetrical “home” had a parlor, dining room, kitchen, butler’s pantry, two bedrooms and a bathroom. The third floor contained servants’ quarters and a ballroom. In the 1970″s the last of the Beckmann’s moved away and the house fell into disrepair. The roof was damaged, a ceiling joint collapsed, windows were boarded and cats and pigeons occupied the third floor. Architectural thieves removed stained glass windows and oak columns, and dropped radiators down the stairs, resulting in damage to the stairs and walls. It was eventually slated for blighting by the city of St. Louis. In 1989 a young couple with a vision purchased the home. The roof and joint repairs were made immediately and an extensive 18-month renovation followed. The couple lived in the home, with their family, until 1996 when the home was purchased and renovated into a small luxury inn. The name of the mansion was inspired by the end-cap on one of the four chimney supports, which rather than the traditional star shape, was a fleur-de-lys. You will see the Fleur-de-Lys, symbol of the City of St. Louis and Saint Louis University, incorporated throughout the mansion.